Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Some Weekly Revelations
posted by Brian G.

This week I was in the unfamiliar position of having to do the “drop offs” at daycare. We live in Swedesboro, NJ and my wife works in Wilmington, DE. When we were shopping for a day care situation we chose the Jewish Community Center in North Wilmington – it is simply the best care and the best program we could find and we were determined to give that experience to our kids.

This week was my wife’s annual HELL WEEK – there is a weeklong targeted marketing program that her radio station runs and she was forced to be in early everyday. I am in the process of changing jobs – I gave my two week notice but my employer did not need me around for two weeks. All the better! I was home and gainfully unemployed (but getting paid!) for another week before reporting for my first day of work with the new employer.

To make a long story not so long – I handled the drop off and the pickup. On Wednesday there was a substitute teacher that covered the afternoon. My little Lauren (20 months old now) was playing well that day, as she does all the time at school. The sub apparently “revved” her up for “Mommy will be coming to get you soon.” “Are you excited to give Mommy a hug?” Etc, Etc, Etc.

Well, when I showed up, you might have thought the world was coming to an end! Crying hysterically and begging for MOMMY, I had to herd her into her jacket and pack her into the car for the ride home. She bawled the entire way, and even seeing Mommy come through the front door was not enough to assuage her sorrow.

I can understand all of that, especially from the child’s point of view. What is really troubling for me as a newer parent is the fact that only now (2 days later) is she finally warming back up to me!

Dads – for as important as we are and as critical a role we play in the child rearing process, one thing is certain. When the child wants her mommy, there is very little you can do but strap in and roll with the punches!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?